Things to do: activities in and around Aviemore
Aviemore is situated in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park, in the Highlands of Scotland. Created in 2003, the National Park offers an unrivalled range of outdoor attractions and activities to enjoy. There is so much to do in the area; below are a few of our favourites.
Spending your holiday at The Shelter Stone puts the Cairngorms National Park on your doorstep. Activities available nearby include hill walking, mountain biking, pony trekking, sailing & fishing as well as skiing in the winter months. There are several places locally where all the equipment you might need to can be hired, including bikes, canoes and skis.
NB If you are bringing your own sports equipment on holiday, rental of the house includes access to the garage, providing storage for your bikes, skis or golfing gear.
- There are flat loch-side or forest walks and more challenging routes for experienced hill walkers - find a useful guide to all local walks near Aviemore at Walk Highlands
- This walk with a picnic spot at Loch an Eileen on the Rothiemurchus Estate is a favourite
- We are miles from the sea, but there's a beach at Loch Morlich, where you can take part in a variety of watersports
- If you're a seasoned skier in Aviemore for a dedicated ski holiday, or a beginner on skis or snowboard, then the snowsports and snowschool at Cairngorm Mountain will have something to suit. The house is just 15 minutes drive from the ski centre
- The Cairngorm Funicular Railway (also at Cairngorm Mountain) is a popular year-round attraction, where you can enjoy spectacular views from the viewing terrace at the top of Cairngorm Mountain - without the exertion
- Landmark Forest Adventure Park is a great day out for all the family
- The Highland Wildlife Park at Kincraig has polar bears, snow leopards and wolves, all safely contained just a few miles down the road from the Shelter Stone
- Fishing is available at the Rothiemurchus Fishery, where children can also feed the fish
- High Ropes and Aerial Adventure at Treezone, Inverdruie
- Photographers of all abilities can hone their skills on a Wildlife Photography Workshop with Peter Lewis Photography
- A trip on one of Strathspey Railway's steam trains is a fun way to admire the scenery. Why not stop off for a pub lunch at The Boat Hotel, right by the station in Boat of Garten
- The MacDonald Aviemore Resort has a swimming pool and soft play, while Coylumbridge Hilton has a pool, and The Fun House which features and large soft play and bowling alley. Great for those days when the weather may not be so attractive
- Brewery tours are available at Cairngorm Brewery
- Aviemore is conveniently located to explore the whisky distilleries of Speyside. Find listings here of those within a 50 mile radius
For further information and listings: Visit Aviemore
The house is an excellent base for exploring Aviemore and the surrounding area - all year round - with many activities available nearby.
Many visitor attractions are within 15 minutes drive from the house. And you won't waste valuable holiday time driving long distances to the shops - a short stroll and you are in the centre of town, with all the local amenities on your doorstep.